Tuesday 27 September 2011

20th Anniversary of 'Nevermind'

Celebrated by anyone who knew, knows, or has just found out the genius of the iconic Seattle grunge three piece has probably been kicking out their favourite riffs this past week, as Nirvana's most famous, diamond selling record Nevermind, reaches the grand old age of 20.

Various celebrations have taken place, BBC Radio 1 lent me the soundtrack to a rather dubious night journey I ended up taking through the Peak District yesterday, featuring interviews with everyone from The Subways to Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl, although, unfortunately, presented by the ever irritating Zane Lowe, who kept insisting that (and I paraphrase) 'everyone' got into Nirvana in the same way, through Nevermind... which, as a teenager who used to listen to Bleach, Incesticide and In Utero not only to school, but in lessons, getting me through some really difficult times, kind of came across as a bit populist and dismissive, BUT, there is little denying what an amazing album it is; and perhaps without it, less people would know about the genius of the late Kurt Cobain, which would be a travesty.

Equally, NME.com have celebrated in creative and appropriate fashion, launching a live Nevermind listening session at 1pm yesterday, where everyone would start listening to the album at the same time, and tweet their comments until and after the album was finished. Cottoning onto this a little too late - but nevertheless loving the idea - NME has offered another fantastic alternative for fans, posting the band's legendary 1992 concert Live at the Paramount for just 24 hours from the 27th of September, so if you're reading this and you've missed it, gutted. It was amazing, of course.

Anyway, without wanting to go on and on (particularly since I've not bothered to blog in months... although beware, more posts are coming soon, and I'm going to try and make them more frank, since no one reads this anyway haha) this is my favourite track from Nevermind, I hope some of you agree.




I really haven't had that exciting of a life. There are a lot of things I wish I would have done, instead of just sitting around and complaining about having a boring life. So I pretty much like to make it up. I'd rather tell a story about somebody else. - Kurt Cobain

No comments:

Post a Comment